WELCOME TO THE FARMHOUSE AT THE RED BARN PRESERVE!
The Red Barn Preserve is owned and operated by the Gateway Museum of Morristown, New York. Originally owned by Allan and Lorraine Bogardus - this 160 acre site sat as vacant land for over 50 years. Allan added 4 large ponds in the 1970’s. These ponds attracted wildlife including Blue Herons to the area. The herons created a nesting site consisting of 50+ nests that are active and can be seen today. Allan and Loraine passed in 2016 leaving the property to the Museum. Three miles of hiking trails have been established with boardwalks to enable hikers to cross wetland areas.
With walls that can mesure 22 inches thick, the 1935 stone farmhouse offers two upstairs bedrooms and two bathrooms, a living room, dining room large kitchen and back porch.
Starting in 2017 the museum’s trustees backed by generous funding and a lot of energy from a local resident – launched an ambitious effort to renovate the house. A new roof was provided, new oak floors installed, all new appliances, a new furnace, two bathrooms renovated and the kitchen remodeled.
The work continues today in the off season. Plans have been made to install central air conditioning and a back porch renovation in the spring of 2021.
In an effort to offset expenses at the Red Barn Preserve, the house has been put up for weekly rentals during the summer months. The museum and our volunteers are proud of the work done at the Red Barn Preserve and hope our guest appreciate the house and its surroundings